Friday, May 11, 2007

what are they doing?

AnceStories: The Stories of My Ancestors: Ancestry.com Images Removed From My Blog: "After reading that Ancestry.com has 'requested' that Michael John Neill remove images of famous people enumerated in the censuses from his blog, I decided I had better do likewise. Last month I started a series of posts entitled 'Ancestors in the 1930 U.S. Federal Census,' with snippets of images of my direct ancestors, along with human interest-type information that I thought would be fun for my readers to know. I also included some of the difficulties I had come up against in searching for these ancestors in that census. I'll continue to keep these posts up and I hope to complete the series, but it will be without the images, I'm afraid. I can find them at HeritageQuest Online, but somehow they download differently than Ancestry.com's (haven't figured it out, yet!), and I'm not sure if I'll be violating their terms of use if I use HQ's images on my blog.

This recent issue, along with The Generations Network's insistence that FreeOnAncestry.com be removed, has not endeared this corporation to my heart lately, nor to many other genealogists as well. I repeatedly see comments from other genea-bloggers such as 'shooting themselves in the foot' or 'cutting off their nose to spite their face.' I wrote quite some time ago about how angry patrons were when the 'new, improved'"

No comments: